123 Highland Avenue Gastroenterology
123 Highland Avenue
Glen Ridge, NJ 07028
75 E. Northfield Road Gastroenterology
75 E. Northfield Road
Livingston, NJ 07039
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- Barrett’s Esophagus and ablation of Barrett’s
- C. difficile infection
- Celiac disease
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic diarrhea
- Colon cancer
- Difficulty swallowing
- Disorders of the Esophagus
- Eosinophilic esophagitis
- Esophageal motility disorders
- Esophageal strictures
- Family history of colon cancer and other cancers
- Gastroesophageal reflux and heartburn
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- General Gastroenterology
- Genetic syndromes with risk of colon cancer
- H. Pylori infection
- Infections of the gastrointestinal tract
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Other Conditions
- Liver disease
- Multidisciplinary treatment of colon cancer
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Peptic ulcer disease
- Removal of colon polyps
- Screening for colon polyps and prevention of cancer
- Screening for esophageal cancer
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth
- Zenker’s Diverticulum
Always check with your health insurance carrier before scheduling any type of service. You can learn the details of your individual health insurance plan, including the amount of your copay, deductible, and coinsurance by visiting your health insurance company's website or by calling their customer service department. Click here to review our list of accepted insurance plans.
Training and Education
- Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Magna Cum Laude, Alpha Omega Alpha, State University of New York Health Science Center, Syracuse, NY
- Biology and Chemistry, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, State University of New York, Binghamton, NY
- Internal Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital - Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY
- Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, Ny
John J. Imbesi, MD, specializes in general gastroenterology, including gastroesophageal reflux disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and inflammatory bowel disease. Dr. Imbesi has interest in colon cancer screening in hereditary colon cancer syndromes. He has expertise in endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), endoscopic assessment of inflammatory bowel disease, and endoscopic treatment of Barrett’s esophagus.
Dr. Imbesi has practiced with Gastroenterology Group of New Jersey since 2005. He is a member of the American Gastroenterological Association, American College of Gastroenterology, and American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. He is the coauthor of "A Multidisciplinary Approach to Gastrointestinal Bleeding in Cancer Patients," which is published in Journal of Supportive Oncology. He also is the coauthor of abstracts that are published in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and American Journal of Gastroenterology.
Dr. Imbesi says, "I became a gastroenterologist because I enjoy helping patients with difficult diseases and symptoms." He adds, "In addition to enjoying working with my hands and helping patients with my procedural expertise, I find it gratifying to develop trusting professional relationships with each of my patients. I believe clear communication is the key to good doctor/ patient relationships."
Dr. Imbesi has been featured in New Jersey Monthly “Top Doctors” listings. During residency, he earned the Program Director's Award, and during medical school he earned the Dean's Letter of Commendation, Excellence in Anatomical Sciences Award, McGraw Hill Award, and Syracuse Medical Alumni Merit Scholarship.
When he is not working with his patients, Dr. Imbesi is a dedicated father of 2 young children. He spends most of his free time with his family.
- HUMC Mountainside
- Cooperman Barnabas Medical Center