Breast Cancer Facts
Breast cancer usually develops in the tubes of the breast that carry milk to the nipple (ducts) and glands that make milk (lobules). Both women and men can have breast cancer; however, it is more common in women. After skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States.
According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI),
1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer during her lifetime.
Know Your Risk
It is important to know your risk for breast cancer to help protect your health. Some women have higher-than-average risk and should be monitored more closely than others. Answering a few simple questions can help you know more about your risk and when you should be evaluated by a breast health expert.
For example, you might want to speak with one of our breast surgeons if you answer yes to any of the following questions:
- Do you or does a family member carry the breast cancer gene (BRCA)?
- Have you had abnormal breast biopsies?
- Do you have relatives who had or have breast cancer?
- Do you have 2 or more same-side relatives with any kind of cancer?
- Have you had radiation therapy or chest wall radiation before age 30?
- Have you used combination hormone therapy for more than 5 years?
The Summit Medical Group Breast Care Center team offers comprehensive and compassionate care for benign conditions and all stages of breast cancer. Our physicians can help evaluate your risk and develop a plan to monitor your breast health, especially if you are high risk.
For your convenience, most of our services are located under the same roof.
At your visit, you will receive a:
- Comprehensive review of your breast and family history
- Comprehensive breast examination
- Personalized plan for your breast health that includes
- Lifestyle changes
- A schedule for your breast imaging
- A schedule of your follow-up doctor visits
- Discussion about whether risk-reducing medications are right for you
- Discussion about whether risk-reducing surgery is right for you
For more information or to schedule an appointment with us,
please call the Summit Medical Group Breast Care Center at 908-277-8770.
Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM.
We also offer after-hours appointments on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
We have a board-certified breast surgeon and medical oncologist available at all times.
Click here for online information about our Breast Care Center.