Last Updated: June 23, 2022
COVID-19 vaccines for children age 6 months through 4 years are recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Younger children get a smaller dose of COVID-19 vaccine than teens and adults that is the right amount for their age group. Below is a chart from CDC’s website for reference:
Summit Health supports the American Academy of Pediatrics statement that “Children and adolescents 6 months of age and older who do not have contraindications should be vaccinated to protect them against COVID-19.”
If you have questions about whether your child should be vaccinated, we encourage you to make an appointment to discuss this with your primary care provider either in-person or via a virtual visit.
Please note Summit Health is currently not able to offer COVID-19 vaccines at our sites.
The COVID-19 vaccine is widely available in the community, and there are many sites across that state that are offering the vaccination to children 6 months and older:
- Multiple vaccination centers, local health departments, pharmacies, and medical centers including:
- Essex County Department of Health -Richard Cody Arena, West Orange
- Bergen County Vaccination Center at Bergen New Bridge Medical Center, Paramus
- Union County Department of Health Management, Westfield
- Middlesex County Office of Health Services, Piscataway
- Somerset County Department of Health
- Hunterdon County Health Department, Flemington
- Westfield Regional Health Department, Westfield
- Local health departments in Passaic, Kearny, Basking ridge/Bernards Township, Hoboken, Newark, Woodbridge