Our Approach to Heart and Lung Care
Summit Health’s Cardiopulmonary Center brings together heart and lung specialists in one place. They use a team approach to ensure your heart and lung are functioning together as they should — and help you address issues when they’re not.
With some symptoms — like shortness of breath — it can be difficult to know whether the problem starts in your heart or lungs. That’s where the Cardiopulmonary Center can help. Our cardiologists and pulmonologists work together to provide a swift diagnosis.
The sooner you have a diagnosis, the faster you can start treatment. Our cardiopulmonary team will create a treatment plan that is personalized to meet your health goals and specific needs.
Cardiopulmonary Conditions We Treat
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Heart Valve Disease
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Shortness of Breath
Cardiopulmonary Center Treatments and Services
- A1C Test
- Breathe Easy Program
- CT Scan
- Genetic Screening
- Heart Disease Prevention
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD)
- Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS)
- Lipid Panel
- Low-Dose CT Lung Cancer Screening
- Nuclear Stress Test
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- Pulmonary Function Test
- Stop Smoking Now
- Stress Echo Test
Meet our Cardiopulmonary providers
Summit Health cardiologists and pulmonologists are accepting new patients and here to offer second opinions.View Our Specialists
Why Choose Summit Health
- Collaborating on heart and lung diseases: Some lung diseases affect your heart and vice versa. For instance, conditions like pulmonary hypertension, where your heart must work harder to pump blood through your lungs, can often occur along with heart failure. Our cardiologists and pulmonologists use a team approach to give you comprehensive treatment that addresses all the ways your body is affected by these complex diseases.
- Pediatric cardiology and pulmonology: Summit Health has pediatric cardiology and pediatric pulmonology to address cardiopulmonary issues in kids. These pediatric specialists communicate regularly with your child’s pediatrician so care is coordinated and comprehensive.
- Arrhythmia and sleep apnea connection: For arrhythmia care, Summit Health electrophysiologists work with our sleep providers in pulmonology. That’s because sleep apnea can increase your risk for atrial fibrillation. Our providers collaborate to make sure you have an accurate diagnosis, so you can get the most appropriate treatment.
- Connections to other Summit Health experts: Heart and lung conditions often involve other organs, such as your kidneys. They can also affect your emotional and mental well-being. Our cardiologists and pulmonologists connect you to other Summit Health providers as needed — and regularly communicate with them to ensure your care is coordinated.
- Partnering with area hospitals for heart or lung surgery: As part of your cardiopulmonary care, we evaluate your need for cardiac surgery or lung surgery. If you need surgery, we partner with several area hospitals. This allows you to pick the one most convenient to you. Our providers will check on you in the hospital and continue your follow-up care at Summit Health.
- Lung cancer screening and treatment: We offer low-dose CT lung cancer screening at Summit Health. We also provide support to help you stop smoking. If you are diagnosed with lung cancer, our cardiopulmonary providers work closely with our Cancer Center to monitor your heart and lung health throughout treatment.